Wednesday 25 June 2008

SMSRelay Suite: Website Work

I wanted to add Google Analytics to my website. Simple. Not so with iWeb, which I had used to create the website. Fortunately Echo One provide an Automator plug in to help with this task. The plugin can be downloaded here.

It is simple to install and works great, the only problem is that you have to remember to run the Workflow against the website folder prior to uploading it to your live website. So using Automator it is very simple to add the upload (by automating Transmit) to the Workflow. This means that to add Google Analytics tracking code and upload all the files to my website can now be done just by right clicking the local copy of the website folder.

Automator is great, I wish I had more time to play with the features, I think they could save me a ton of time. Below is a screenshot of my ‘Add Google Analytics and Upload’ workflow:



Incidentally, if you wish to open the workflow again later for edit purposes it is saved in the rather unwieldy location:

/Users/myname/Library/Workflow/Applications/Finder

"Dreams come true. Without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them." - John Updike

No comments: