Friday 6 June 2008

SMSRelay Suite: Standardised About Window

I only managed a few hours today on this project. One of the things I wanted to do was get a standardised ‘About’ window sorted, one that I can just import into a project and it will work with little or no effort to customise it to the application. This proved to be straightforward. One thing I wanted was a link to allow the user to send feedback via email. For ease of sorting and filtering the email, I wanted the email address to directly relate to the application and version.

In the end I decided on the following method:

Dim strFeedbackAddress As String = "mailto:" & My.Application.Info.Title.ToLower & "-" & wMain.strVersion.ToLower & "-feedback@genesyssolutions.co.uk"
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(strFeedbackAddress)

I’m quite pleased with the About window now and intend later to add another tab for the EULA. I’ve used this window in another one of my projects now and it looks like this:



and clicking the ‘Feedback’ label (which shows as underlined if you hover over it) gives you this:



"Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you." - Diana Spencer

No comments: