Monday 26 January 2009

Windows 7 on a Mac with Vmware Fusion

I've downloaded the Windows 7 Beta this afternoon. Interestingly I couldn't download it using Safari as my browser, I had to switch to Firefox. Once that was done the next thing I noticed was that Microsoft are using Java to download Windows 7 ... interesting if you know the history of MS and Sun !

Installing Windows 7 with VMWare Fusion is simplicity itself, and very quick. I chose Windows 2008 Server 64 Bit as the OS from the list provided with Fusion, as obviously Windows 7 is not listed yet and I pointed Fusion at the ISO of the 64 Bit version of Windows 7 I had just downloaded. Very simple.

Wow.



I am not a fan of Vista, although I can run it for short periods now without stressing too much, but Windows 7 although looking similar just feels so much nicer. I can't quite put my finger on it but it just feels ... right. Oh and it is fast. Incredibly fast for a Beta running in a window on my Mac !

So far I am very impressed and some of my faith in Microsoft has been restored. It won't make me switch back to Windows from my Mac, but it will at least mean that time spent testing my software in Windows can at least be pleasant :-)

www.artenscience.co.uk
Quality Commercial Software and Custom Software Development


Arten Science RSS Feed

No comments: